Tuesday, December 23, 2008


Here it is, the day before the day before Christmas, 2008. It's hard to believe this year is almost gone. Time is certainly moving quicker and quicker, or so it seems to me. All in all, this has been a blessed year, challenging at times, but blessed in the midst of those times.

I am still reading in James chapter 1. I've been there for well over a week .. since the laryngitis started as a matter of fact, and that was 11 days ago. I still haven't regained my voice, but my whispering seems stronger and that's a good indication full voice recovery will take place.

In looking back over this time span I can see that I've learned things, important things, that I would not have learned had I been able to speak and carry on with so-called 'normal' daily activities. I've learned the importance of a voice and more importantly, how we use that voice. It can do much good or much harm. It depends on our words and the tone we use when we speak them. I can say "I love you" but if my heart isn't in it, you'll know.

"Count it all joy" has become a daily habit for me now...rather than complain, albeit to myself 'cause who could hear me?, I'll say "I count this all joy" and go on. Being voice-less has given me opportunity to listen, to really listen to what people aren't saying when they talk. We do that you know, say a whole lot with what we're not saying.

In my journal this morning I wrote: "I thank You so much God for these days of having no voice. I would not have learned these precious truths had I been able to speak and carry on with my scheduled plans. Thank You for this blessed interruption of silence and learning. Let me not forget what You have taught me ... make these lessons a part of my being ... weave them into the very fiber of who I am. Any strength I have comes from You. Any giftings I possess come from the Author and Creator of all that is. Let me use them for Your glory and the benefit of others. Use my words to bring life and hope to those who read them. Order my steps and direct my path this day. May I walk closely to You and be quick to obey."

So you see, all is well with my soul and I look forward to tomorrow to see what it may hold. And I'll keep counting, as long as the good Lord gives me breath, I'll keep counting it ALL joy.
Blessings!


5 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many times "count it all joy" has actually produced joy for me. I'm praying for your voice to return so you can shout "I DO...COUNT IT ALL JOY!!"
    I wish you a Merry Christmas my precious friend...God Bless you above and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and Fred and very blessed and happy Christmas.

    Lots of love, Amrita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise, I have been praying for you and am touched to read how the Lord has used this "voiceless" time to reinforce His truths in your heart. We just concluded a very powerful study at church by John Morrison - The Power of Your Words. Great stuff!

    ...praying that you'll be singing praises again soon!

    Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. for someone without a voice, you have much to say. count it ALL joy indeed. we love you, merry christmas loo-eeth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count it all Joy...what a sweet lesson you have taught us.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family dear friend.
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete