Friday, October 3, 2008

I found myself thinking along these lines this morning ... how much time do I spend in complaining about something or someone? Too much is the answer. And what good end is served by my complaining? None.

So, rather than complain about something or someone, what if I took that same breath and that same amount of time and began to give thanks in all things? What if, rather than talk about someone, I lifted that person to the Lord and asked Him to minister to them and meet their needs? Even if I don't especially care for them?

What changes might I see in people if I prayed for them rather than criticized them or talked about them? What changes might there be in me if I were to make these changes?

I'm not sure how it will all work out, but the precious Lord willing, I am out to change this aspect of who I am. I want to be all God desires me to be and that means growing up and letting go of my negative thoughts and speech patterns. It means taking the time to think about what's running rampant through my brain and then consciously 'take every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ'. (II Cor. 10:5)

It means thinking Biblically before I speak, because our Father takes our speech seriously. He says in Matt. 12:36-37 that we will give an account of every idle word. That truth gives me serious cause to be quiet far more than I am.

I've heard that it takes 21 days to break a habit. Day one is almost over, and with the help of my Lord, I will change, for His glory, I will change.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Loise for sharing your heart.

    I needed to hear that and stay on the line.

    My mother was not well since the last two days, she 's better today. Praising God for that. Hope you are feeling good.

    ReplyDelete