Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thank you precious friends for your prayers for my son and others! Thank you! It is such a blessing to know people are praying. Think about that for a minute ... it is a blessing to have the capability to KNOW people are praying for us. We are not alone, we have each other and our Lord 'ever lives to make intercession for us' ... Hebrews 7:25.

I spoke with David a few minutes ago. He said he's alright, just tired and sore. He said he would need me or his Dad to take him out to his work one day this week and I told him to just call, we're here to help.

I have been reading at http://www.puritansermons.com/ today. This, among other articles, really hit home for me:

Richard Baxter's Guide To The Value Of A Book
While reading ask oneself:
1. Could I spend this time no better?
2. Are there better books that would edify me more?
3. Are the lovers of such a book as this the greatest lovers of the Book of God and of a holy life?
4. Does this book increase my love to the Word of God, kill my sin, and prepare me for the life to come?


Rev. Baxter lived from 1615 - 1691, long before television was even thought of. His concern then was books and what people were reading. I found myself asking 'what on earth would he think of the books, magazines, newspapers, television, movies and the Internet if he could walk on this earth right now?' He would be astounded and ashamed I think, of all that's open for just about anyone who has eyes to see. If he took such great care to scrutinize the books he read, what would he think of ours?

For me, I could change Rev. Baxter's list to this:
While reading, or watching television, I need to ask myself:
1. Is there a better way I could spend this time?
2. Are there books or programs that would edify me more?
3. Are the lovers of such a book or movie as this the greatest lovers of the Book of God and of a holy life?
4. Does this book or TV program, this movie, increase my love of God's Word. Do they kill my sin and prepare me for the life to come?

I realize this may sound very legalistic to many, but I'm talking to ME. I know me far better than anyone who reads this; and I know what my short-comings are. I know that once I sit down in the evening to 'just catch the news' .. I could be there till bedtime, watching 'just one more show'. And I know that I'll feel badly for doing it, but I will have the attitude "Jesus understands ... He knows my flesh is weak ... I can confess and ask Him to forgive me and He will ... and tomorrow, I promise myself, tomorrow I'll do better!" And tomorrow is usually a repeat of today. That's how I am.

I listened to a minister last week say that anytime we place more emphasis on anything more than we do God and His Word, it usually means we have a hardened heart. That sentence also caused me to give serious thought to how I spend my time. For ME, I must get away from excessive TV. I started to say the programs I watch aren't 'bad' ones, but when I stop to really see what's in them ... how do I commend them? Is there anything praiseworthy in what I watch? Is there anything that honors the Lord? Do they edify my soul and make me hunger and thirst for more of Him? There are decent, God-honoring movies on TV from time to time. We watched one just yesterday ... 'Saving Sarah Cain'. Sadly these types of movies are the exception, not the rule in today's media.

If you think I've gone off the deep end of religion, please tell me. All I know is I keep sensing a prompting deep inside that says "There's more to life than this ... Redeem the time for the days are evil ... Turn off the television or leave the room if you have to ... but do something edifying and constructive with the time you've been given ... and that might just mean, quietly sitting in the presence of the Lord, learning to be still and know that He IS God".

We've all been given a path to walk and a cross to bear. I won't impose mine on anyone, I'll just be grateful I have friends who will help me along the way ... who pray for me and care about me in spite of myself. And to the best of my ability, I'll help them as we journey toward Home.

4 comments:

  1. I'm turning off the TV Weezy...
    if I question something, off it goes! No R rated movies, in fact I
    turn off PG or PG 13 if there are that things I question.
    Great thoughts lady...I love you!
    I ask myself...would I watch this if Jesus were here? But the thing is...He is here and I want to honor His Presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise, I so appreciate this post. I have a whole bunch of shows recorded in our DVR - most of which I'll probably never watch because I've recently been convicted of the very thing of which you wrote. ...is viewing that TV show in any way going to draw me closer to the Lord? ...probably not.

    I did record Saving Sarah Cain also --I just may take the time to watch that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my many crosses is that I am sorely tempted to check my email and blogs in the morning BEFORE I sit down to read my Bible. It is an issue that God has been pointing out to me - about what I put first. He asks that I love Him so much more than myself (so what if an email has to wait a bit longer or I don't know something 30 minutes sooner?) and wants me to be drawn to Him more than being drawn to communication with the outside world.

    These things are very big to us although they may seem so small and legalistic to the rest of the world. But God works that way, doesn't He! Personal relationships with Him, and Him guiding us to grow in Him and He knows where we are lacking and the symptoms of the bigger problem in us. The issues aren't the internet for me or the t.v. for you. The issue is loving God so much more that our time is spent as precious moments we have with the One we love the most.

    One more show...one more blog...and minutes then hours tick away that we can never get back...and lessons that could've been learned and blessings that could've been received and good that could've been done in those hours are replaced - with what? Even the simple blessing of sweet silence and fellowship with God is better than any show that man has made.

    Of course, that's not to say that He doesn't sometimes use shows or blogs (like yours and others) to edify and bless us. But we are to do like you suggest, be discerning.

    Another great post, Louise. Thanks for writing it. It speaks to a major issue in Christian lives today as it did in the 1600's.

    teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Weezy...just wondering how David's doing? Pray all is well.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete