Saturday, April 19, 2008

“Keep a clear eye toward life’s end. Do not forget your purpose
and destiny as God’s creature. What you are in His sight is what
you are and nothing more. Remember that when you leave
this earth, you can take nothing that you have received…
but only what you have given; a full heart enriched by
honest service, love, sacrifice and courage.”
Francis of Assisi, 1181-1226
“Letters to Rulers of People”


How often do we keep a clear eye to our life's end? How often do we forget our purpose and destiny as God's creature? Too often I think, far too often. We become so entrenched in this place that we lose sight of what lies ahead. This isn't all there is. We know that, but we often fail to live as if we believed it.

I think perhaps that's one reason I've dealt with health issues as I have. They take my eyes off of the here and now and put them where they need to be ... on Jesus alone. In times like these He's the only One who fully understands what I'm dealing with. He alone holds the remedy and cure for what ails me. This week I have thought to myself that I will either recover or I'll go Home. We only have two options when sickness comes ... recovery or leaving.

Once again I'm in a place of pain and discomfort and once again I learn of mercy and grace that grants the next breath. Each breath is a gift and each one means I'm one breath closer to Heaven than I was yesterday. One of these days my next breath will be my last on this earth.

There was an older gentleman in my former church who had lived with asthma for years. I remember going to the hospital to visit him shortly before he died and as he lay propped up on pillows in the hospital bed, struggling to breathe, we could hear him whisper "There's a reason, there's a reason..."

Yes, Bro. Simcox, there's a reason beyond our knowing here. You lived a Godly life and I never heard you complain. I think of the last time I saw you and your words stay with me ...'there's a reason'.

We all will go through difficult times. Not all will deal with health problems, but trust me, you're surely apt to walk a path you'd never choose for yourself. It's there we need to remind ourselves .... 'there's a reason.'

4 comments:

  1. Louise, I'm so happy to discover your posts today and to know that you are at least well enough to do that, even though it may have been at great effort.

    These are serious days for you, and I am thankful for the wisdom you are passing on to us. This is not all there is... There is a reason...

    I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling better..Please let us know
    I'm praying for you also
    fondly, deena

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always write so beautifully ~ because it comes straight from your heart.
    We're praying for you both ~ we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weezy... Such wisdom in your words.
    I know Dear Friend, that you are a vessel used by God... you are pouring lessons of faith and hope into those who read your words.The song "Crucified with Christ" says it all... I am crucified with Christ and yet I live!

    I love you,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete