Thursday, April 7, 2011

No Hypocrites!



In reading the devotional, Pearls of Great Price, I came upon this just this morning:

"One of the goals of my life is exactly the same as yours. I don't want to be a hypocrite. Every day I want to shorten the distance between that which I profess and that which I actually live. I want no gaps between my "talk" and my "walk".

It's why I like to repeat every day for the next month, this "Text for Self-Evaluation," proposed  by John Wesley. The questions reflect the heart of Scripture, so every morning we should ask ourselves:

Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I'm a better person that I really am?
Do I laugh at the mistakes of others, reveling in their errors and misfortunes?
Do I insist on having my own way?
Is there a tendency for me to put others down so that I'll be thought of more highly?
Do I pass on to others what is told to me in confidence?
Am I thoughtful in expressing 'thanks' to people for what they've done for me, no matter how insignificant it seems?
Am I a slave to dress, friends, work, or habits?
Am I self-conscious, self-pitying or self-justifying?
Did the Bible live in me yesterday?
Did I disobey God in anything yesterday?
Did I insist on doing something about which Whenmy conscience was uneasy?
Did I handle discouragement well or did I have to be coddled?
Am I enjoying prayer?
When did I last speak to someone about Christ?
Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, or hold resentment toward? If so, what am I doing about it?
Is Christ real to me?

As I read these questions, I was convicted of areas in my life that I need help in. Areas where I fall short and need to change.  In light of eternity,  we are only here for a short time and this helps me make the most of each and every day.  This will be posted on my refrigerator, not only so I can read it, but others can too. Perhaps it will speak to their hearts and perhaps they'll see a change in me.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment